For a man looking to start exploring urethral stimulation, there are a whole range of different challenges as well as some unique benefits. Much of this comes down to the differences in anatomy...Read More
Stimulating your urethra can be a completely different experience that many people will enjoy even if they don’t expect to at first. There are a wide range of toys available for you to choose from, and each can interact with your urethra in a different way. Generally, there are three main types of urethral toy.
Penis plugs tend the be the simplest urethral toy available, and often they will be the first toy someone might explore. These usually tend to be quite small and only penetrate up to a couple of inches into the urethra.
Most penis plugs have a small T-bar or ring on one end to make sure it doesn’t travel too far and get stuck. When shopping for a penis plug you’ll usually have the options of either silicone or stainless steel.
Aside from the material they are made of, and the fact that there will be some kind of stopper to keep it from going too far into your body, penis plugs can vary massively.
Some may have ridges, patterns, or even bumps on the surface which provide you with completely different sensations when you use them.
Even outside these variations, there is much, much more to explore with penis plugs.
Some are hollow, allowing fluids to pass through them so you can wear them for extended periods of time or even during sex. Some have small vibrators attached, letting you explore another completely different sensation. Some even let you use electrical impulses!
While somewhat more advanced, urethral sounds typically form the bread and butter or urethral play. Often these would be used by medical professionals in diagnosing and treating certain illnesses or disorders, but these days they are commonly used for recreational purposes as well.
A sound is much longer than a penis plug, sometimes reaching up to around eight inches and can penetrate deeper into the body.
The most advanced sound users can insert them through the entire length of the urethral tube right up to the bladder.Sounds are typically made of medical grade stainless steel, and using any other material is asking for trouble.
The traditional design is a simple straight rod, but when exploring them recreationally you have many more options.
Each of these can carry different shapes and markings or designs, giving you different feelings when you insert them. Some of the most common variants include:
- Van Buren Sounds: Van Buren sounds are one of the more unique looking types of sound, thanks to their unique J-shaped tip. While inserting a sound of this shape can be a lot more work than some of the simpler models, it's worth the extra effort. The tip can be used for targetted stimulation of much greater intensity than other types of sound, and they are long enough to even tease your bladder if that's what you enjoy.
- Guyon Sounds: While many types of sound are fairly beginner friendly, Guyon sounds are the complete opposite. These are made only for the most experienced users, and take a massive amount of care to use without damaging your urethra. This is mainly down to their shape. Guyon sounds almost resemble a hook. The hooked shape allows for some of the most targetted and intense stimulation possible to feel from a urethral sound.
- Pratt Sounds: As some of the longest types of sound available to buy, Pratt sounds are a favourite among some more experienced users of urethral sounds. They are double ended, like many other types of sound, but their main selling point is a pronounced curve found near the end of the rod. This curve allows you to very precisely stimulate any part of the urethra you choose, creating some of the most intense stimulation possible with a urethral sound.
- Rosebud Sounds: While other sounds tend to be more suited for beginners or experienced users, Rosebud sounds are enjoyed by people of all levels of experience thanks to their unique bullet shaped tip. This tip can provide stimulation unlike any other type of sound. They also have very long handles, making them easy to manipulate, although they are on the shorter end so aren't as suitable for deep urethral stimulation.
- Dittle Sounds: Unlike many other types of urethral sound, Dittle sounds are completely straight. This can make them much easier to insert as a less experienced sounder. They also feature a distinctive handle, making them one of the easiest kinds of sounds to manipulate. One of the best parts about the handle though, is that it is completely flat. This makes it an ideal surface to attach to tens or e-stim devices, letting you add another dimension to your urethral play.
- Hank Sounds: A double ended sound that is favoured by many beginners. Each end of a hank sound is a different size, so you technically get twice the amount of sounds for your money. These aren't able to be used for deep urethral stimulation though, as they have a ribbed area part way down which prevents you from inserting the sound further. This ribbed area is one of their top selling points for beginners though, as it takes away any worries about inserting the sound too far or losing it.
- Hegar Sounds: Like many other types of urethral sounds, Hegar sounds are double ended, meaning you can try twice as many diameters when finding your ideal sound. They feature a gentle S-shaped curve along the body of the rod, helping to make insertion more comfortable and enjoyable for the user. Hegar sounds are a popular choice among beginners to urethral sounding.
There are a great many options, and which you decide to go for will depend on how experienced you are, how deep you want to go, and what feelings you want to get from the experience.
Urethral piercings aren’t specifically toys designed for urethral stimulation, but having one definitely gives you an extra level of stimulation during other sexual activities.
Depending on the piercing you get, you will experience different feelings while wearing them and there are many different ones to choose from.
The most common type is the Prince Albert piercing (or the female variant, the Princess Albertina).
A piercing could be a simple bar shape, have a ring that passes through and out of the body, or even have balls along the surface for extra stimulation.
Other Toys That Can Help with Urethral Stimulation
While the toys we’ve covered so far are designed specifically with the urethra in mind, there are others which can help you to ramp up your urethral play when you use them together.
In general, these are going to be things that increase the sensitivity of your penis or vagina.
Examples include: cock rings, penis pumps, vaginal pumps, and sperm stoppers.
Most of these simply increase the overall blood flow in your sexual organs, so when you do start your urethral stimulation there’s even more sensitivity and you get much more stimulation out of it.
What’s Important When Choosing A Urethral Toy?
Even with some basic knowledge of the types of toys available, you might still find some difficulty in choosing exactly what you should buy. Luckily, it’s quite a simple process once you know what you’re looking for!
The first and probably most important consideration you’ll need to make is the size. When engaging in urethral play for the first time, you might think that something smaller will be better for you.
This couldn’t be further from the truth though, and in most cases using a toy that is too thin is actually much more dangerous than using one that is too large.
For the ideal experience, you want something that is comfortably tight. No so tight that there’s significant resistance (you should never have to push to get your urethral toys in, gravity should do the work), but not so loose that it can simply slide around on its own.
Material will probably be the second thing you might find you have an option for. There shouldn’t be a great deal to choose from though, as all good urethral toys will be made of either stainless steel or silicone.
Both of these materials are non-porous which means they aren’t able to absorb any bacteria. This is an incredibly important thing for urethral play as it’s very easy to get infections through this part of your body. If you ever see a toy made of a different material, then steer well clear!
The most interesting decision for you to make is in any textures the toys will have on them. Rather than just a completely smooth surface, your toy could have raised areas, spots, bumps, patterns, or even be curved!
Each different type of texture can give you a completely different feeling when you use it. It’s completely up to you which you go for, and over time you’re sure to develop your own favourites!
That just about covers where we currently stand on urethral toys. It’s a brave new world for you to explore, and you have plenty of options to mull over and think about.
As long as you’re buying a good quality toy that you can easily sterilise and take care of though, you are basically free to try anything that takes your fancy!