How to Stimulate a Clitoris
Clitoral Stimulation 101
“What is essential is invisible to the eye.”
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry might have meant something philosophical and wise but we couldn’t help but think of the fact that the clitoris, which is an important part of our sexual experience.
The clitoris is only partially visible to the eye as ¾ is actually hidden from plain view. We’re talking close to five inches long and runs up the walls of the vagina!
With over 8,000 nerve endings, it is considered to be the most sensitive erogenous zone, making it the main source of sexual pleasure in a woman’s body.
Given what it has to offer, it’s only fair that the clitoris is stimulated and pleasured to the best of our ability.
What Is The Clitoris?
The clitoris is more than just a nub found at the top of the vulva.
Don't be deceived by the small button like appearance of the clitoris. There is more than meets the eye!
The clitoris extends deep inside the body beyond its external parts.
Before we start talking about how we can stimulate the clitoris to get the desired orgasmic results, it's important to understand the anatomy behind the clitoris.
Knowing what the clitoris is made of will make it easier for us to determine what will work and what won't when it's time to stimulate it.
Anatomy Of The Clitoris
When it comes to the clitoris, always remember that no two clitorises are alike as they can vary greatly in size.
Also, take note that this powerful female sex organ is composed of several parts including:
- Clitoral body.
- Paired crura (legs) and vestibular bulbs.
External Parts Of The Clitoris
What we normally refer to as the "clitoris", the glans clitoris is the pea-sized external part of the clitoris that is located above the urethra.
Due to the number of nerves in this area, it is very sensitive to touch. Its job is to detect stimulation and sensation.
Another part that you can see externally is the clitoral hood. Its purpose is to surround and protect the glans clitoris.
Internal Parts Of The Clitoris
As mentioned, the glans clitoris is the external part of the clitoris. However, despite its placement, it is connected to the rest of the clitoris which you can find inside the body.
The clitoral body goes upwards, right into the pelvis and it attaches to the pubic bone through the ligaments.
In front of the urethra is where you can find the body, which splits into two to form the paired crura (what is often referred to as the "legs" of the clitoris), and the vestibular bulbs.
The crura and bulbs which extend behind and through the labia have erectile tissues that start swelling with blood when there is sexual arousal.
A Guide To Stimulating The Clit
Before we start, do note that the clit swells to a bigger or larger size when there is a rush of blood to the genitals during arousal.
Also, as we have mentioned about clits not being the same, they also like different types of stimulation.
Clitoral Masturbation Techniques
Rubbing the sides.
- When you start stimulating your clitoris, don’t rush!
- Start with very light pressures on the side of your clit.
- Using one finger, try rubbing the clitoral hood.
- As you feel more and more aroused, try increasing the pressure that you are using.
- If you are aiming for something more intense, you can try bringing your finger closer to the clitoris.
Get those fingers in!
- Your stimulation might have started with one finger but perhaps it’s time to use more or even your entire hand.
- Just imagine the stimulation that you will be feeling when you run each finger one after the other over the clitoris.
- When it comes to stimulating the clitoris, you have the freedom to experiment.
- Try applying different pressures and motions so that you can figure out which ones you prefer the most.
Talk To Your Partner
If your partner is trying to stimulate your clitoris, you have to make sure he or she knows what you want and need. Consider talking to your partner first.
This would make it easier for the both of you to figure out what works and what doesn’t and what buttons to press that would get you off.
If there is no discussion involved, your partner just might be making guesses, possibly leaving you unsatisfied or disappointed.
Also, if your partner is solely focused on penetration and thrusting, you won’t be getting any clitoral stimulation at all!
Best Sex Positions For Clitoral Stimulation
There are various sexual positions that you and your partner can try to maximize clitoral stimulation.
Let the sexual adventurer in you come out by trying out some of these positions!
- Ask your partner to sit cross-legged or with his legs extended on the bed.
- Once he has chosen which position he prefers, straddle him and slowly lower down yourself onto him.
- When you’re in position, try wrapping your arms around each other and start rocking your pelvis up and down.
- Through this motion, you can find out if the clitoris is rubbing against your partner’s abdomen.
- If you feel like it’s not giving you enough stimulation, reach down and use those hands to touch yourself!
- For this position, ask your partner to lie on his back and to prop his knees up and his feet flatly on the bed.
- Before you straddle, make sure you are facing the direction of his feet.
- Once that’s set, straddle his legs and angle yourself a little bit to the side.
- When you lower yourself to your knees, do it slowly and gently.
- To stimulate the clitoris, try grinding up and down his thigh.
Doggy on the Sofa
- When it comes to this position, you might be needing a prop - the sofa!
- Compared to the usual doggy style, this variation makes reaching for the clitoris easier.
- To start off, make sure you are facing the backrest before kneeling on the sofa.
- Once you have positioned yourself, rest your forearms on the back of the sofa, making sure that your body is in a slightly bent, upright position.
- When you’ve got that down, have your partner enter you from behind.
- While all the thrusting is happening, whoever has a free hand can reach out for the clitoris for some added stimulation!
Coital Alignment Technique (CAT)
- To set this position up, you should lie down on our back with your legs wide open and your man on top of you.
- Use the missionary position as a reference.
- However, instead of the thrusting motion that usually happens, your partner should move his body forward.
- With this angle, the penis points downwards with the pubic bone coming in contact with the clit quite easily.
- Before your partner enters you missionary style, you should lie on your back with your legs raised all the way up and your ankles crossed behind your head.
- To make sure that your clitoris is stimulated, your partner's pelvis should be positioned a little higher.
If you are looking for something that can boost clitoral sensations, you can try using sex toys designed for clit stimulation.
Clit vibrators often come in different shapes and sizes. While you can use any type of vibrator for clitoral stimulation, there are various types whose main focus is the clitoris.
Clitoral vibrators are handheld toys that you can use directly against the clitoris. Basic types include the following:
- Finger Vibes
- Pocket Rockets
These types of clit vibrators are often smaller than the usual vibrators.
Don’t let their sizes fool you! These clit vibrators can add something fun and exciting to your solo or couples play.
Stimulate And Titillate The Clit
If you know the how’s and why’s, it will be much easier for you and your partner to figure out the best ways to stimulate the clitoris.
While you might go through some sort of trial and error stage, once you get the hang of things, you will learn about your preferences which can help enhance your overall sexual experience.